HND COURSE OVERVIEW
HND in Business
Higher National Diploma
Course Duration: 2 Years
Assessment: Coursework Assignment for each module.
Awarding Body: Pearson
The HNC/D programmes are designed to give you the opportunity to:
Develop your applied learning through a core set of skills and practices designed to develop your career in business. In addition to knowledge, understanding, and skills from the sector, the Higher National programmes prepare you for further study or training.
The overall aims of the programmes are to:
- Provide a thorough grounding in business principles at Level 4 enabling you to progress to a range of level 5 study across professions within the business sector, with a focus particularly on small business activities.
- Equip you with commercial acumen, understanding, and business skills for success in a range of administrative and management roles in business.
- Enable you to progress to a university degree by supporting the development of appropriate academic study skills.
- Enable you to progress to further professional qualifications in specific business areas by mapping to units/ modules in a range of professional business qualifications
There are fifteen modules in total for the HND. In order to complete the qualification, the student should have accumulated 240 credits in total.
The modules consist of a mixture of Level 4 HNC and Level 5 HND modules taught over two years.
The course structure is as follows:
YEAR 1 – LEVEL 4 HNC IN BUSINESS MODULES
Business and Business Environment
Human Resource Management
Management and Operations
Managing a Successful Business Project
Innovation and Commercialisation
Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
YEAR 2 – LEVEL 5 HND IN BUSINESS MODULES
Planning for Growth
Pitching and Negotiation Skills
Developing Individuals, Teams and Organisations
Please note Other award optional units might be added every year. The programme team will decide on an annual basis which awards optional units will be running, based on student demand and academic factors, in order to create the best learning experience for you.
These modules form the programme, with the Certificate being followed by the Diploma. The precise sequence for study will be made clear at the outset of the year, with the project units completed at the end of the year.
A range of assessment methods are used, to match the range of activity found in business settings and ensure that the ranges of learning outcomes in the unit are assessed. Two units one for the HNC and one for the HND, have an assessment set by Pearson. All assessment is designed to meet requirements from employers, professions and equip you for further higher education work at universities.
Knowledge and understanding is assessed by
● Coursework, often based on case studies
● Time–based activity including examinations
Cognitive – Thinking skills are assessed by
● Project work
Applied – Practical skills are assessed by
● Practical reports with planning documentation
● Portfolio completion
Transferable – Skills for life and work (general skills) are assessed by
● Project work
● Group work
COURSE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- A CERTIFIED copy of UK GCE Advanced Level Certificate, or an equivalent Level 3 qualification. Mature students over 21 do not have to have these requirements but should have suitable work experience of no less than 2 years.
- A CERTIFIED copy of all Academic Transcripts
- For students whose first language is not English, a minimum IELTS score of 5.5 in all categories is required.
Successful candidates may seek Level 6 entry to complete a Bachelor’s degree in Business at a UK University
Your Future Starts Here.
Book a free no obligation consultation with our highly qualified admissions team.