Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training: course Overview
The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is a teaching qualification which has a teaching/training practice requirement. It is an ‘in service’ qualification designed for those working or wishing to work as teachers/trainers in England. It may be possible for pre-service teachers/trainers (defined as those who are not formally contracted as teachers/trainers) to also complete this qualification. All candidates, whether pre-service or in-service must have access to 100 hours of teaching.
Candidates who successfully complete this qualification will take an analytical and practical approach to all aspects of planning, delivering and assessing inclusive teaching and learning. Whilst doing this, candidates will embed theories and principles in education and training and demonstrate them in their practice.
Candidates will also carry out research into professionalism in education and training policies and consider their impact on their role and their accountability as a teacher/trainer.
The City & Guilds Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training prepares trainee teachers and trainers to teach in a wide range of contexts. To achieve the qualification, there is a requirement for teaching practice that requires observation and assessment of performance.
The qualification can meet the needs of a range of trainee teachers and trainers, including:
- Individuals who are not currently teaching and training but who can meet the practice requirements, including the observed and assessed practice requirements of the qualification
- Individuals who are currently teaching and training, including those who have just begun teaching and training and who can meet the practice requirements, including the observed and assessed practice requirements, of the qualification
- Individuals currently working as assessors who wish to achieve a teaching qualification and who can meet the practice requirements, including the observed and assessed practice, of the qualification.
The learner will need to meet the requirements outlined in the table below before awarding body can award the qualification, i.e. achieve the appropriate mandatory and optional units, as well as satisfactorily complete teaching practice.
The Module structure is as follows:
Minimum number of credits that must be achieved
Number of mandatory credits that must be achieved
Number of optional credits that must be achieved
Minimum number of credits that must be achieved at level 5
Teaching practice hours
Guided learning hours
All units must be achieved from this group
Teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
Developing teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
Theories, principles and models in education and training
Wider professional practice and development in education and training
Optional units group
Developing, Using & Organising Resources in a Specialist Area
Teaching in a specialist area
COURSE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- A CERTIFIED copy of UK GCE Advanced Level Certificate, or an equivalent Level 3 qualification. Mature students over 21 do not have to have these requirements but should have suitable work experience of no less than 2 years.
- A CERTIFIED copy of all Academic Transcripts
- For students whose first language is not English, a minimum IELTS score of 5.5 in all categories is required.
- This Diploma qualification is recognised as equivalent to the Certificate of Education qualifications in the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ).
- Students can progress to further studies in education, such as The Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) or a top-up in Education Studies if they do not hold a degree.
Students can have their Level 5 credit recognised in line with the higher education institution’s arrangements for the recognition of prior learning.
The students can apply for their qualified teacher training and skill (QTLS) or Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) status after the successful attainment of their DET qualification.
Further details on this are available at
Your Future Starts Here.
Book a free no obligation consultation with our highly qualified admissions team.